All U.S. citizens and permanent residents (Gree

All U.S. citizens and permanent residents (Green Card holders) are required to file U.S. income tax returns if they have gross income that exceeds certain minimum thresholds – see below for 2016 tax year:
Single, Under 65: $10,300
Single, 65 or older: $11,850
Married, Filing Jointly, Under 65 (both): $20,600
Married, Filing Jointly, Under 65 (one): $21,850
Married, Filing Jointly, 65 or older (both): $23,100
Married Filing Separately, Any age: $4,000
Head of Household, Under 65: $13,250
Head of Household, 65 or older: $14,800
Qualifying Widow(er) with dependent child, Under 65: $16,600
Qualifying Widow(er) with dependent child, 65 or older: $17,850 
U.S. expats are required to report worldwide income (regardless of location). Unfortunately, many are not aware of this fact, and do not file – only be audited by the IRS, at which point they are subject to penalties and interest.

Best Places In The World To Retire