Dedicated to providing you with credible information about living overseas
Best Places In The World To Retire Community Questions and Answers about living and retiring abroad

Questions & Answers

Q & A Menu Q & A BY TOPIC
To navigate, use menu bar to the left
Chuck Bolotin of Best Mexico Movers – Best Places In The World To Retire User Account
Residents of Ajijic, MexicoThere is no authoritative census, so these are my guesses.
 
The Lake Chapala area (including Ajijic) is about 20% - 25% expat, with the rest being Mexicans.  The expats are about 40% from the US, 40% from Canada, and 20% from other places, mostly from Europe.
 
The Mexicans are mostly locals, but if you live in one of the nicer fraccionamientos (housing developments) it is very likely that you will have several neighbors who are from Guadalajara and are using your neighborhood for their second home.  Most of them are quite sophisticated and most will speak at least a little English to English better than you and I.
 
In the less affluent areas, you will find Mexicans who are predominantly in the service industry; housekeepers, gardeners, handymen, electricians, plumbers, painters, etc.
 
Compared with the average housing situation in the US, your neighbors here will as a group be extremely friendly, open, and welcoming here.
 
Interested in moving to Mexico?  Visit Best Mexico Movers.
+52 33 376 766 5151This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.About Bellon Insura...
Andre Bellon of Bellon Insurance Agents – Best Places In The World To Retire User Account
Birding association in Lake Chapala, Mexico – Best Places In The World To Retire – International LivingMostly Canadians and Americans live in Ajijic and Chapala. There aren’t a lot of Mexicans in Ajijic. If we say Ajijic, the town, there are more Americans and Canadians than Mexicans. I would bet on that.  
 
I have a customer who lives in a gate-guarded community to the north of the carretera (main road) in the foothills. Out of 112 homes, only two are for Mexicans. 110 are for Americans and Canadians.
 
Towards the village, there are the Mexican people that got here first, and they will not leave, although there are still a lot of homes that Americans or Canadians have bought in the area and fixed to their liking, and now the Americans and Canadians live there. Some Mexicans have had to move because they found a good opportunity, or because they were offered a good amount of money for their land or homes that maybe no one else would offer them. Those kinds of people have had to move out of Ajijic, and they have gone much farther away. 
 
The vast concentration of Americans and Canadians are right here in Ajijic, and if you move further away from Ajijic, in the various villages including Riberas del Pilar, San Antonio, and San Juan Cosala then all the way out to Chapala, you’ll have fewer and fewer Americans and Canadians, and more Mexicans.  
 
(Birding association in Lake Chapala, Mexico, pictured.)
Valerie Friesen of Blue Angel Solutions – Best Places In The World To Retire User Account
Entrance to La Villita, Ajijic, Mexico – Best Places In The World To Retire – International LivingJust as there are temporary expats who come down to Chapala and Ajijic for part of the year, there are also Mexicans from other parts of Mexico who come to Chapala and Ajijic temporarily. Most of them are "Tapatios" who are Mexicans born and raised in Guadalajara, and many of them have weekend/retirement homes in Chapala and Ajijic. 
 
During the Holy Week and the week after, the Chapala and Ajijic areas would be like a large metropolitan city with roads, restaurants and stores are choked with lots of people and heavy traffic. Residents need to stock up and plan for their money, booze, and food. A lot of Mexicans from Guadalajara come to Chapala and Ajijic during the Holy Week.
 
My husband and I live in La Villita, a community that is put together by a group of Mexican professionals who bought a chunk of land and built weekend homes. These are professionals like doctors and lawyers. It’s just on the other side of the water park and at upper La Floresta.  
 
(Entrance to La Villita, Ajijic, Mexico, pictured.)
Mirna Segura of Ajijic Rentals – Best Places In The World To Retire User Account
Mirna Sigura and her helpful staff at Ajijic Rentals and Management, Ajijic, Mexico – Best Places In The World To Retire – International LivingMexicans, expats, and foreigners from all over the world live here in Chapala and Ajijic. There are Asian people who live here, too. We have Chinese and Germans here. There are people who are originally from Zacatecas City in Mexico but they come to Ajijic because they know that they have work here. (People from Zacatecas usually work as gardeners or pool cleaners.)
 
Around 80% of the people who live in Ajijic are Mexicans and the other 20% are expats. It is hard to make generalizations but most of the Mexicans who live in Ajijic are very polite people. They always like to help out. I like Ajijic more than I like Chapala because in Ajijic, everybody knows everybody else since it is a small place. In contrast, when you live in Chapala sometimes you wouldn’t know your neighbors. In Ajijic, you would think that nobody knows you but they do know you. 
 
In my opinion, it is better to retire here in Ajijic because it is the nature of the people here to help. They don’t look at you as someone from the US or Canada. If they see that you need help, they will help.
 
(Mirna Sigura and her helpful staff at Ajijic Rentals and Management, Ajijic, Mexico, pictured.)  
Mark O'Neill – Best Places In The World To Retire User Account
Professional reunion in Lake Chapala, Mexico – Best Places In The World To Retire – International LivingAjijic is a village with a population of 13,000, of which 30% are American or Canadian expats. The other 70% are the Mexican nationals, some of whom have been there for quite a few generations, so there is quite a history within the families of the Mexican nationals there.
 
There is a wonderful diversity amongst those expats who have moved down to Ajijic. The village of Chapala, which is about 10 miles directly east of the village of Ajijic, has a higher concentration of Mexican nationals. There are a lot of people who enjoy a little larger village who prefer in that environment.
 
Depending on your specific desires and goals, you can embrace the traditional, old Mexican village and/or a little more cosmopolitan area in Chapala. I opted to live outside the village of Ajijic in a larger and more residential community or area called La Cristina, a suburban village located about 4 kilometers from the center of the village.  
 
(Professional reunion in Lake Chapala, Mexico, pictured.)

Go Here Next

Go Here Next

 
Best Places In The World To Retire Expat Stories contains text, video, and photos by people just like you who are already living abroadUse the menu on this page to go to categories of Stories.
Best Places In The World To Retire Community Questions and Answers about living and retiring abroadUse the menu on this page to go to other categories of questions.
The Best Places In The World To Retire Location Advisor makes personalized recommendations for where to live and retire overseasGet matched to your ideal location to live abroad.
Best Places In The World To Retire Community Questions and Answers about living and retiring abroadAnswers about living, working or visiting abroad.
Best Places In The World To Retire Expat Stories contains text, video, and photos by people just like you who are already living abroadStories by expats & others about their life aborad.
Best Places In The World To Retire - MarketplaceFind for profit, non-profit and religious organizations.
 

Go Here Next

 
Best Places In The World To Retire Expat Stories contains text, video, and photos by people just like you who are already living abroadUse the menu on this page to go to categories of Stories.
Best Places In The World To Retire Community Questions and Answers about living and retiring abroadUse the menu on this page to go to other categories of questions.
The Best Places In The World To Retire Location Advisor makes personalized recommendations for where to live and retire overseasGet matched to your ideal location to live abroad.
Best Places In The World To Retire Community Questions and Answers about living and retiring abroadAnswers about living, working or visiting abroad.
Best Places In The World To Retire Expat Stories contains text, video, and photos by people just like you who are already living abroadStories by expats & others about their life aborad.
Best Places In The World To Retire - MarketplaceFind for profit, non-profit and religious organizations.
 

Our Pledge To You

Best Places will present information from the Community in a transparent way, unedited, except to conform with our Conditions of Use.

You can trust that Best Places does not manipulate content to sell you anything. All opinions in the Community Q & A and Expat Stories are those of its authors, not Best Places.

Get Known To The Community

Those who contribute to the Best Places Community are our heroes! And being a Best Places hero is fast, fun, and easy. Just go to Questions & Answers, find your first question to answer, click on it, and then click the Contribute Your Answer To This Question Button. If you’d rather enter a Story, go to Expat Stories and click the Contribute Your Story Button".

Contact/Support

Please contact us. We would love to hear from you! Customer Service
Technical Support
Business Development
Suggestions
Press
Phone: (US) 520-940-0481