Mexico doesn't have that many lakes and the ones we have tend to be shallow. The biggest lake of Mexico is Lake Chapala. Lake Chapala's maximum depth is around 20 to 25 meters (66 to 82 feet).
In the neighboring state of Michoacán, there are other three important lakes.
Lake Cuitzeo near the city of Morelia is a very shallow lake. The lake looks like a swamp with birds walking on it because it is so shallow. You will not miss this lake when you cross to Guadalajara from Mexico City because part of the road passes through the lake.
Lake Pátzcuaro is very picturesque and beautiful because there are a lot of indigenous peoples’ towns in the surrounding areas where they have unique arts and crafts. A lot of foreigners, especially Europeans, go for a vacation in the towns surrounding this lake. The town of Pátzcuaro is a very typical Mexican town and one of the most touristy places in the state of Michoacán. The weather is amazing and temperatures range from 22 to 25 degrees Celsius (71 to 77 degrees Fahrenheit).
Anthropologists and archeologists do a lot studies in the surrounding areas of Lake Pátzcuaro because there are pyramidal structures that have major historical importance. Anthropologists are interested to learn about the different people and cultures of Michoacán. The cuisine of Michoacán is very rich in flavor and variety.
Further south in the state of Michoacán is a nice little lake called Lake Zirahuén, which has a very different landscape from the other lakes because it has pines surrounding it.
The state of Michoacán is famous because since the Spanish colonial times, each small town in this state specialized in a different craft. For example, the whole town of Paracho specializes in building guitars.
Mexico has many rivers. One of the main rivers is in the river basin where Lake Chapala is located and is called Río Lerma. This river is the major water source of Lake Chapala, providing 95% of waters that come into Lake Chapala. The other 5% comes from Río La Pasíon (The River of Passion), which is a 22-kilometer river that comes from the mountains of Michoacán. Río La Pasíon is a very nice river to stroll around because it has one of the best-preserved galleries of a specific tree called the Sabino.
The Sabino is a tree that grows where there is a lot of water. For some strange reason, this tree is very well preserved in an area where there are many cows because people around Río La Pasíon are dairy producers. It is very nice to stroll around the lake in Ajijic, and then continue on to a picturesque river hike along the banks of Río La Pasíon.
Río Bravo is the border river between the US and Mexico. In the south, there is Río Suchiate, which is the border river between Mexico and Guatemala.
It is very important to know that, paradoxically, 80% of Mexico's waters are located in the southern part where only 20% of the population lives. So, 80% of Mexico's population lives in the center to the northern parts of Mexico where there is only 20% of the water available for the country.
The southern part of Mexico is composed of the states of Veracruz, Chiapas, part of Oaxaca, Tamaulipas, and Tabasco. Veracruz and Chiapas are mountainous areas with rainforests, but Tabasco is relatively flat. Some parts of Tamaulipas are very dry.
The Yucatán Peninsula is a different area that is flat, with not a lot of mountains, and no rivers. The water in the Yucatán area is underground water.
The water supply issue is something that the government of Mexico is working hard to solve because most of Mexico's production, economic source, and NAFTA effects are from the northern part of Mexico where we don't have that much water. There are a lot of water diversions occurring from one river basin to the other to bring water to areas where there are less water sources.