How the apartments in Belize are different from those in North America is a great question – and one that most people forget to ask. For folks who have never lived outside of the country, you may be unsure of what to expect. The standards and quality that we have gotten so familiar with at home may not be the same in other parts of the world. When you’re looking for an apartment or home, make sure you consider the following:
- Is there hot water? Is there fixed plumbing?
- Is there air conditioning? Can I live with just a fan?
- Is there running water? Is the water potable?
- Are there appliances already in the unit?
- What is the building constructed of? Can it withstand the rainy season?
- Is it furnished? Or will I need to purchase furniture?
Because the weather in Belize is eternal summer, many homes are single-floor and open air. Balconies, palapas, outdoor kitchens, screened-in porches, pools, etc. are all extremely common.