I, personally, don’t participate in adventure travel or activities here in Nicaragua, but I can tell you what other people do.
Overall, adventure travel and activities are very popular in Nicaragua. The diversity of Nicaragua, with the volcanoes, lagunas, beaches and rivers is very attractive to people who like outdoor spots.
The TV show Survivor is here right now and they’ve been coming here for several years to shoot their programs. Discovery Channel is here as well.
The amount of tourists who come here to Nicaragua is increasing 5% to 10% per year, and we see a lot of people doing different adventure sports. As a result, a lot of different types of adventure businesses are growing rapidly. Here’s a rough list of the most popular:
- Surfing. Of course, Nicaragua is a major area for surfing. They do world competitions here.
- Canopy tours.
- Hang gliding.
- Biking. A lot of people are bringing their bikes down here to Nicaragua to do bike trips. A few years ago, I think a Frenchmen came here to Nicaragua and broke a world record on a bicycle for speed.
- Hiking is very popular because of the volcanoes and the mountains.
- Extreme sports that combine biking and running.
- On some of the volcanoes in the north of Nicaragua they have lava boarding, where they slide down these volcanoes on what looks like a surf board. This is becoming very popular and quite famous. This particular volcano has all these fine lava pebbles and people go up there and basically ski down the volcano and do all sorts of speed events.