Let's start with the good things about living and retiring in Bastimentos...
- The people are tranquil and friendly - most speak English.
- Bastimentos is quiet - except for some music from a party at times.
- Bastimentos is a beautiful island with a Caribbean tropical climate year round.
- The cost of living is probably less than what you would pay in your home country.
- You get Panama's retiree benefits.
- Bastimentos has some excellent with-sand beaches and is good for hiking.
- You are close to the Bastimentos National Marine Park.
Now some of the possibly not so good things about living and retiring in Bastimentos...
- If the weather is bad, it can be difficult to leave the island.
- You can only get to or leave the island by boat.
- You may experience periodic power and water outages.
- Sometimes theft and other small crimes can be a problem.
- To buy your food and other supplies, you have to go to Bocas Island - or sometimes David or Panama City.
All in all, most Expats who I know are happy with their decision to live and or retire on Bastimentos. I guess you will just have to visit and see if it's the right place for you.