Health facilities in San Francisco, Republic of Panamá
San Francisco is a very nice neighborhood inside the city of Panamá.
It is a major district, very cosmopolitan, and full of hotels, restaurants, a great community park, bakeries, "cafés" (coffee shops), all kinds of shops, 3 supermarkets from major chains, lots of mini supermarkets, many bank branches, a postal office, and much more.
Close by is the upper class neighborhood of "Altos del Golf" (Golf Heights"), and other very nice neighborhoods like: Paitilla, Punta Paitilla, Punta Pacífica, Costa del Este, Cangrejo, El Carmen, Villa Lila, among others.
San Francisco is conveniently situated via an exit from the "Corredor Sur" (Highway) from the Tocumen International Airport, just 17 minutes away by car, with a beautiful view, surrounded by the water of the Pacific Ocean.
As for medical centers, there are many of them. I broke them down into the categorires below.
Main health clinics:
- Clínica Los Portales. A modern clinic, open 24 hours a day. $15 for an office visit.
- MiniMed. Also a low cost clinic with complete facilities.
- An open MRI clinic, (in Vía Porras).
- Clínica de los Pies (specialized in everything related to feet).
- Thalassinos psychological Clinic (pediatric psychology; in Vía Porras).
- Clínica de la familia (specializing in psychology and psychotherapy).
- Pinzón Clinic (medical and homeopathic specialized clinic; 10 minutes away)
Main pharmacies in San Francisco:
- Farmacia 50 (74th St)
- Super 99
- El Rey
Below is the list of medical clinics There are no medical clinics inside San Francisco, but these are less than 5 minutes away, unless noted. In all these centers they offer complete medical care and ambulatory surgeries or treatments. From the most simple, to the most sophisticated one, including all kind of specialties.
- San Fernando
- Punta Pacífica
- Consultorios América
- Paitilla (at 15 minutes)
- Royal Center (at 15 minutes)
- Río Abajo (lower income; 15 minutes)
- Laboratorio Clínico Fernández (major laboratory service; English ).
- Marbella (at 15 minutes)
Hospitals (not inside the neighborhood proper, but very close by):
- Punta Pacífica: a modern hospital connected to Johns Hopkins in the USA.
- San Fernando: one of the oldest, but totally renovated.
- Paitilla: also very modern.
- Santo Tomás: a state hospital, mainly for lower income. Has one of the best trauma centers. (at 20 minutes with traffic).
Other hospitals in the city:
- Hospital Nacional
- Santa Fé
- San Judas Tadeo
- Río Abajo
- Bella Vista.
In addition, you can find in Panamá all kinds of treatment and all kinds of medical doctors trained in Panamá and abroad in the most advanced techniques, like oncology, ophthalmology, dentistry, dermatology, cardiovascular care, neurology surgery, organ transplants, endocrinology, physical and rehab....and so many others that is impossible to list here.
Last but not least, Panamá has several alternative clinics, acupuncture and other oriental medicine treatments, very well known and helpful, as well as a very modern rehab center including an inside thermal pool. This is all not to mention the hundreds of modern SPA´s and veterinarian clinics all over the city.
And the Panamanian government Tourist Bureau offers a 30 days complete medical care for visitors at no charge. Just ask for your brochure at the Tocumen Airport upon your arrival, or ask your hotel.