Pros of Living In Panama City, Panama, Clayton Area
- Grounds of former US military base in the Panama Canal Zone
- Just outside of Panama City and close to shopping malls, healthcare, the Panama canal, golf courses and other recreational opportunities
- Wildlife and forested area are protected in the bordering corridors
- The US consulate, a think tank and a technology park provide lots of intellectual neighbors
- Chance to live in a spacious renovated military housing with big American-style yards and greenbelts
- Planned communities burgeoning with maritime and other businesses, and community services that inhabit vacated base facilities
- Quiet, with views of bustling Panama City, Canal and Ocean
Cons of Living in Panama City, Panama, Clayton Area
- Lots of competition from professionals, business owners, embassy personnel and NGOs for previous base housing
- New residential complexes tend to be upscale and more expensive, while existing housing can also be pricey, by Panamanian standards
- Close to canal and surrounded by a rainforest make it especially humid
- Can be a good amount of traffic congestion to get to Panama City
- Suburban lifestyle can be a minus for those desiring more dense, urban setting
All Location Advisor attributes for Panama City, Panama, Clayton:
You'll be comfortable if any one of these language preferences will work for you:
- I’m willing to learn or already know some local words, but not too much.
- I’m willing to learn or already know a good amount of local words.
- I’m willing to learn or already know how to have a basic conversation in the local language.
- I’m willing to learn or are already conversational in the local language.
You can find any of these average purchase prices for a three bedroom, two bathroom, 1,600 square foot home built to North American standards in a good area:
- Up to $300,000
- Up to $415,000
- Over $500,000
You can find any of these average monthly rental prices for a three bedroom, two bathroom, 1,600 square foot home built to North American standards in a good area:
- Up to $1,875
- Up to $2,500
- Over $2,500
The different types of homes you'll find here:
- Renovated military housing
- Modern tract home
- Planned community
Mall stores that best represent the lifestyle here:
- Armani Exchange (upscale and chic)
- Banana Republic (sophisticated and casual)
- Eddie Bauer (sporty and active)
All types of healthcare available:
- Within 1 hour to a top hospital with North American standards.
- Within 3 hours to a top hospital with North American standards.
- Within 7 hours to a top hospital with North American standards.
- Within 1 hour to a good regional hospital or clinic or better.
- Within 3 hours to a good regional hospital or clinic or better.
- Within 1 hour to a good (almost North American standards) or better healthcare facility.
- Within 3 hours to a good (almost North American standards) healthcare facility
You'll be happy if any of these describe how close you want to be to the beach:
- The beach is within a 2 hour drive. (My bag is packed and ready to load.)
- The beach is within a 5 hour drive.
Recreational modes of transportation:
- Golf cart
- Three speed cruiser
- Taxi / hire a driver
60's television shows that represent neighborhood density:
- Bewitched (American-style suburbs)
- Mayberry RFD (small town)
Things to explore:
- Eddies and bays
- Birding habitats
- Pedestrian friendly
- Jungle tracks
Movies that represent preferred views from your bedroom window:
- Pearl Harbor (like an American Navy base; big lawns, open fields, water)
Types of North American expats you'll find:
- Working professionals
You'll be happy if golf is this important to you:
- Extremely important. I must live on or very near a golf course. (It’s not a hobby. It's my ritual.)
- Important. I must be within 30 minutes of good golfing. (I don't need to live on the course and I'm willing drive a little to play.)
- Nice to have. I would like to be within 90 minutes of a good facility.
- Not very important. I wouldn’t mind if I could get to good golfing within 3 hours.